|The IEEE Systems and Information
Engineering Design Symposium (SIEDS'13) is a student-focused international
forum for applied research, development, and design in Systems and
Information Engineering. The Symposium is the leading showcase for
undergraduate and Master's graduate design projects, such as those
from capstone design courses or from baccalaureate, honors, or design-oriented
graduate theses. Projects must extend beyond the analysis of systems
and include the synthesis of alternative solutions to a problem. When
appropriate, implementation and testing of a design is encouraged.
Faculty, industry, and government project advisors are welcome coauthors.
Contributed papers are solicited that apply diverse methodologies,
- Data Modeling: including Big Data, Data Analytics, and Data Mining
- Decision Analysis and Optimization
- Systems Integration
- Simulation and Stochastic Modeling
- Human Factors and Cognitive Engineering
- Risk Analysis, Technology Management, and Policy
Papers can describe work in a wide variety of application areas,
- Telecommunications and Information Technology
- Robotics and Sensor Networks
- Transportation and Logistics
- Critical Infrastructure
- Military Applications
- Economic and Financial Systems
should emphasize the application of fundamental systems analysis
and design concepts. Symposium papers presented will appear in a
copyrighted CD-ROM proceedings, available on-site and through IEEE
Press. Papers not accepted for the proceedings will be considered
for the conference poster sessions.
Joe Salvo, Manager, Business Integration Technologies Lab at GE Global Research
See a NY Times piece on one of Mr. Salvo's recent projects.
OF SPECIAL NOTE
BEST PAPER AWARDS
- Only those papers that are presented will be published.
Submitted papers that are not presented will not
- One paper per track will be awarded the Best Paper Award for
that track by a set of external judges. This selection is based
first on the quality of the written paper -- only the very best
written papers are considered for a best paper award. Of the strongest
papers, the final selection of each award winner is based on both
the presentation and the paper.
- While papers from both undergraduate and graduate students are
welcomed at SIEDS, only those papers primarily written by undergraduates
are eligible for Best Paper awards.
- SIEDS '12 Best Papers and Posters
STUDENT TRAVEL SCHOLARSHIPS
- Student Travel scholarships are available on a limited
- Travel scholarships are only available to a single presenting author per paper.
- Depending on demand, travel scholarships may only cover a portion of total travel expenses.
- Applications for travel scholarships can be submitted prior
to paper acceptance and must be submitted no later than one month
prior to SIEDS (by March 26, 2013).
- To submit a travel scholarship application, complete the Request
The Symposium will be held on the grounds of the historic University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Grounds Tour of the University of Virginia
DEADLINES AND REQUIREMENTS
Monday, February 11, 2013:Abstracts due.
Monday, March 11, 2013: Notified of abstract review.
Monday, April 1, 2013: Register and completed
All papers need to meet the formatting guidelines from the SIEDS Paper Template. A similar template is availalbe on the Papercept site, but please use this one here as it is SIEDS-specific.
Symposium fees reflect the student focus (and student participation)
of SIEDS'10. Registration will include one copy of CD-ROM Proceedings
and admission to all conference functions, including an evening
banquet and breaks.
|• IEEE Member (non-student)
|• All Others
Corporate sponsorship is invited. Please contact the Symposium Committee for more information.
Lockheed Martin, Booz Allen Hamilton, Northrop Grumman, ADT, Qinetiq,
Accenture, and SAIC
SIEDS'13 Symposium Committee
General Chair: Reid Bailey
Program Chair: Lance Sherry, George Mason University
Publications Chair: Susan Donohue
Finance Chair: Randy Cogill Sponsorship Chair: Barry Horowitz
Local Accommodations Chair: Jayne Weber
Administrative Support: Jayne Weber, Jennifer Mauller
For more information contact:
SIEDS'13 Symposium Committee
Department of Systems and Information Engineering
University of Virginia
P.O. Box 400747
151 Engineer's Way
Charlottesville, VA 22904
Phone: (434) 924-5393
Fax: (434) 982-2972