Links for Faculty
Michael C. Smith
Executive Director, Accelerated Master's Degree Program
Associate Professor of Systems and Information Engineering
Michael Smith earned his B.S. and M.S. in Industrial Engineering at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. His experience involves teaching, research, and application of a broad spectrum of management science and operations management techniques with emphasis on systems analysis, design, and evaluation problems in public and private sector settings. He served on the Industrial Engineering faculties at Oregon State University and the University of Missouri-Columbia before joining Science Applications International Corporation where he was a Senior Scientist from 1983-2004. His technical expertise spans applied quantitative methods, strategic planning, technology evaluation, and organizational assessment. He has worked across a variety of application domains including manufacturing, transportation, defense, and health care.
- Transportation Policy and Analysis
- Transportation Security
- Commercial Vehicle Operations
- Transportation Systems Management and Operations
- Manufacturing Technology and Management
Selected Technical Reports and Publications:
- "Highway Vulnerability Assessment: A Guide for State Departments Of Transportation," (with S. Rowshan, S. Krill, J. Seplow, and W. Sauntry, Transportation Research Record - Journal of the Transportation Research Board, no. 1827, 2003, pp 55-62.
- "Recommendations For Bridge and Tunnel Security, Blue Ribbon Panel on Bridge and Tunnel Security," prepared on behalf of the AASHTO/FHWA Blue Ribbon Panel on Bridge and Tunnel Security, Publication No. FHWA-IF-03-036, September 2003.
- "Port of Genoa High Level Security Needs Assessment – Technical Assistance to the Genoa Port Authority," prepared for the Port Authority of Genoa, January 2003.
- "Process Review of Commercial Cargo Facility Operations at U.S. Ports of Entry," prepared for the United States Customs Service under Contract Number GS-10F-0091L, Order Number CS-H-02-00405-9/0001, September 2002.
- "Regional Transportation Operations Collaboration and Coordination – A Primer for Working Together to Improve Transportation Safety, Reliability, and Security," prepared for the Federal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, Publication No.: FHWA-OP-03-008, 2002.
- "Process Review of Commercial Cargo Facility Operations at U.S. Ports of Entry," prepared for the United States Customs Service Office of Applied Technology, Washington, DC, Contract Number GS-10F-0091L, Order Number CS-H-02-00405-9/0001, September 2002
- "A Guide to Highway Vulnerability Assessment for Critical Asset Identification and Protection," Prepared for The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials’ Security Task Force As National Cooperative Highway Research Program Project 20-07/Task 151B, May 2002
- "Designing a Graduated Commercial Drivers License – A Report of Focus Group Findings" prepared for the American Trucking Associations Trucking Research Institute under a grant from the Federal Highway Administration Office of Motor Carriers, SAIC Project Number 01-1242-08-5705, April 1999.